[caption id="attachment_114" align="aligncenter" width="450"] Amtrak Train[/caption] I took the Amtrak train for the first time from Philadelphia down to Washington DC this weekend and I was pleasantly surprised at how awesome it was! I spent a lot of time out on the road these past few years, so I have gotten used to the many annoyances of airline travel and mass transit. The last time that I was on a non-commuter train was in Ukraine when I was very young. It was certainly a very different experience to say the least! Here are my favorite parts about Amtrak:
- You can get your tickets on your smart phone a few minutes before the train leaves. A very stress free experience!
- Even with a lot of people riding the train the boarding process is smooth, quick, and painless.
- There is usually a ton of room on board.
- The seats are big and comfy, even in coach!
- They have a power outlet at every seat.
- They have free wifi.
Taking the train was so much better than driving down I-95 and dealing with the traffic. It was a very relaxing and enjoyable experience. It is a shame that the train system only seems to make sense on the East Coast (and perhaps the West Coast too). For example, in Cincinnati there is only one train that comes a few times a week at around 3:00 a.m. Most people in Cincinnati do not even know that the Amtrak comes there. I am not sure if we will ever get to experience an efficient high speed rail system in the US, but I am looking forward to a few more trips up and down the East Coast!