R1D28 ASP.Net Core Testing

I spent a little bit of time trying to get a sample ASP.NET Core project running on CircleCI. This turned out to be a bit more challenging than I anticipated and I was not able to completely get it done.

One of the more furstrating thing about .NET Core is that a lot of the documentation assumes that you are using Visual Studio on Windows. I was able to find this wonderful introductory post on Testing ASP.NET Core Applications which was able to get me to get a project up and running using Visual Studio Code on a Mac.

Having a separate “project” for testing really threw me off. I think I prefer the rails/laravel model where all the generated code comes with a scaffolding for doing testing.

Although I was able to build and test my code on CircleCI with no issues. The biggest challenge was getting XML test output from Xunit. I still have no idea how this works. I read this issue on GitHub  but it kind of led me no where.

I ran into a similar problem last week when trying to figure out how to use DocFX.

I think the best thing that ever happened from Java was Javadoc. It’s just so damn easy. I really dislike the way that .NET does doc strings.

Leave a Reply